Thursday, January 28, 2010

The wide world of Gaming

If you haven't been to the Xbox website recently and checked out Project Natal, you don't know what the world of gaming is in for. Full body recognition; remote free, interactive gaming. If this doesn't shut down the Wii I don't know what will. I can't describe to you the possibilities; go check it out if your even the slightest bit interested in the next generation of entertainment. Wait until it's all in 3-D.

I've played more than my fair share of games the past few months. I can't imagine living without my X-box. Modern Warfare was a good game. I don't say great because its not my favorite genre; first person shoot everything until you die and then try it again because the bad guys don't change their approach or where they come from until you've figured out the timing and angles and which weapon system works best for that given situation. I like summing up a game in a single sentence.

Then of course I've played more Rock Band and more Rock Band and every Rock Band that's come out because my inner child should have learned to play the drums. That concept is by far one of the most clever and creative ideas of this generation of games. The next step on that one is downloading your songs into an application and that software turning anything you want into rock band tunes. If Apple doesn't jump on that one and make another billion dollars someone will cash in.

One of my favorite movies and cartoons growing up was Ghostbusters; so when I heard last year a video game was coming out I had to get it. This particular story was told before basically. It combined the concepts of the two movies into basically a third short film. The game play was fun; smooth and graphically up to par with best of them. I heard somewhere they had some trouble getting some of the actors to sign off on doing the voices but It really made the game that much better. Imagine another one with Project Natal...ooooooooo how fun.

Then on to my favorite new game Assassins Creed 2. All I can say is I wish there were difficulty levels because your character is to much of a bad ass to ever die. With the right moves nothing in this game is impossible the first time around. The maps were fun and scenery was gorgeous. If this game doesn't make you want to visit Italy it should because I've been there and it still looks the same but with modern clothing and the occasional scooter instead of horse. The story was intriguing and kept me wanting more just like the first one. It ended with me pissed because I know 3 won't be coming out until at best 2011. Games of this magnitude are so much fun and so worth every minute spent in my opinion because they really do bring you into a new world.

Games I will hopefully play in the next couple months: Fable 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, BioShock 1 and 2 (I've got some catching up to do), and after just looking at the soon to be released list at Xbox many more. It might be a fun year for games. May have to work some more overtime to afford it.

2 comments:

brian said...

Good choices for next games. Bioshock 1 is one of the best games ever, and will take less time to get through than Mass Effect, which is really huge. After you're done we'll have to share thoughts and how we did things differently.

Kevin Longtin said...

starting bio-shock soon...Moder Warefare multiplayer wearing off, and I haven't bought Mass Effect yet. Downloaded a new expansion to AC2 that I have to play before anything because I still can't get enough of diving off buildings and stabbing people in the throat.