Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Alcohol may be the Root of all EVIL

It would be cliche of me to generalize all family violence as the result of an alcoholic husband. That would only feed to the mainstream notion that all alcoholics are abusers, that only men are abusers, and that only men are alcoholics. I've only been on patrol for 3 months and haven't handled a lot of cases. I can only attest to what I've seen or heard and nothing of what I'm saying is using any empirical data to back it up other than my own experience.

Three cases of assault/family violence. Every single one of them was the result of a drunken husband. Every one of them the actor was intoxicated to some degree during the assault. To some extent the female victim was injured or felt pain. The women don't share anything in common. Their degree of education and work experience are all different. The men are all drunks. Their level of education and work are closer with the exception of one of them the apitomy of a loser. I don't have family history on any of the men or women. One of the women had been in an abusive marriage before. One of the women is an immigrant on visa status. One of the women had a child at home with them at the time it occured. There aren't any common charateristics except the men are alcoholics.

So if you did a study based on these three cases the conclusion is simple. 100 % of the time alcohol is a factor in the abuse. The abuser will be a male alcoholic. The victim will be his wife and no one else. I don't like absolutes typically but this is a pretty sure statistic thus far. I know three cases aren't enough for comparison to apply to a populace as a whole. I'd obviously need to extend my group and include controls like alcholic men who aren't married but date as well as cases of alcohol involved assaults where the man isn't an admitted alcholic.

I think this would've made for a more interesting research topic than the one I did during school. Although this wouldn't be nearly as complicated or expensive a study as my proposed idea while I was in school. All I would need is access to police records (I have that) and contact information for the individuals and lots of cell phone minutes. Might make for a good Doctorate dissertation some day.

No comments: