Thursday, May 28, 2009

Right Place at the Right Time

If you don't believe in pure dumb luck I would start now!

I'm driving around all night long looking for something interesting to get into. The town is pretty quite at night. Very little traffic and no many calls to speak of. I'm on the main street through town, hoping to find a car with drugs or drunk drivers, waiting at a traffic light to turn around and I hear a loud thumping noise coming from behind me. This big F-150 goes past me doing about 45 or 50 with two flat right tires. I get so excited!! This dude has to be wasted out of his mind to be driving that fast with two flat tires. I pull out behind it and wait for it to make its turn onto another road and pull it over. The shit is on now!

I walk up and its a freakin kid. A kid who looks about 14 and ends up being 16. I think to myself, self there isn't shit I can do with this kid except call his parents and get the vehicle towed. He doesn't have a license and therefore no insurance. Best I can do is write a ticket. Thats when things get a bit more interesting. I check his name and birth date and surprise surprise to me he's a runaway kid. No wonder he's driving a car with flat tires and doesn't seem concerned because he doesn't want to go home anyway. So now we call the parents. Dad says he doesn't know whos truck it is. Kid says it's his friend who lives next door. Then he says its the same neighbors dad's truck. The registration comes back to a business and its 1 in the morning and of course they aren't open. We find a pill bottle in the console and theres a name, address, and phone number on it. We can't reach anyone on the phone so another unit checks by at the house.

This house is no where near this kids house. Not exactly a neighbor. The other officer knocks on the door and asks the guy if he owns a white Ford F-150. The guy walks out the door and "What the F**K!!!" is the only thing the guy says.

The kid's arrested now and all the way to juvenile detention he's calm and not worried and almost bragging about the fact that he stole this truck. I probably won't stumble on anything like that again in my life. The truck wasn't even reported stolen yet. The kid wasn't from our city and probably wouldn't have been a recovered runaway for another week or so. I couldn't have phathomed this was the case when I first saw that truck. So if you don't believe in luck, I was lucky, the owner was lucky, and the kid was lucky he was a freakin 16 year old and not a 17 year old. I'll make sure to find him again and arrest him as an adult so he really goes to jail.

2 comments:

Brian said...

...or maybe he'll learn his lesson and be more responsible? don't turn into a scary cop who lives to imprison people, kevin!

Kevin Longtin said...

I won't, but this kid was actually laguhing about the whole thing. Imagine waking up in the morning and your car is gone. And the punk kid who took it is laughing at you. Thats my problem with this kid. No remorse what so ever.