Friday, May 1, 2009

Let the Movies Begin!!

We saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night for the 12:01AM showing. I almost felt like a total dork. I told my wife the next time we see the first showing of a comic book movie we need to wear costumes to get the full effect. There was one guy dressed up like Wolverine; claws and dog tags included, pretty funny. And before the movie started one of the theatre managers came in and announced three IMAX showings of Star Trek next week on Thursday. The announcement wouldn't have been so odd except a lot of the patrons started cheering. The whole thing was the nerdiest experience I've had in a long time. I almost want to go to Star Trek next week to check for crazy pointed ear Trekkies.

The movie itself wasn't half bad. Guess it was a bit more than half good. It seemed to move really slow in the beginning then all of a sudden pick up and just end. The pace it was moving made it seem like it would last forever. And I would have been perfectly happy with 4 hours of X-Men as long as the story was told properly with some depth and character development. But really it lacked just that. Hero loses something valuable then hero desires revenge but develops a sense of morality that controls his rage. Its a typical story that's been told a thousand times. I had always thought Wolverine was more like Punisher in that morals and human decency weren't his thing, especially without Professor Xavier looking over him. I can see how maybe this movie is all just a ploy to get people to buy the comic to compare the accuracy. But I almost don't want to contribute to the ever growing Marvel dynasty just to spite them for making less than adequate movies. If Watchmen had let Hollywood destroy that comic the way they've destroyed X-Men it would've been one of the worst movies of the year.

So if you can't tell neither one of us really liked the movie. It was exactly what I expected it to be and nothing like I had hoped it could have been. They had a chance to make up for three other mediocre movies and failed miserably. I hope a good box office doesn't mean the writers and producers get to comfortable with rolling out the same crap next time. I may have to wait twenty years when someone takes another shot at it like Batman to get it right.

No comments: