Thursday, May 7, 2009

Politics Smolitics I'm So Sick Of Government

24 hour media has changed the social order. Everything is on demand and news spreads faster than wildfires in California. I try to tell myself stop listening to them, stop watching them, just drop politics from my life and I'll be a happier person. But I just can't do it!! (As I type this I'm listening to 700AM radio...someone help me!!). I don't know how to scathe my interest; better yet to diminish my concern. That's right, I'm sincerely concerned for the country and for the future of our government. How did that ever happen to me? I never used to care. I never used to give a flying F*** what happened on a larger scale than my own day to day activities. And right now seems to be the worst time ever to care. Things are so hot and debated and torn apart.

That may be the problem. That's why I have such a hard time with politics. I don't lean one way or the other all the way. I'm a topic by topic decider. I will never claim to be a Republican or claim to be a Democrat. I will never say I'm a conservative or a liberal. They come with such horrible stigmas these days. Politics has become so blinded by labels and name calling and just ignorant to the actual common person its sickening. And the real problem is there are people who buy right into it. I have to check myself every once in a while to make sure I'm not becoming one of those ignorant one sided emotional party members that just say the other guy is wrong because he doesn't label himself like I do.

That brings up another issue; emotion. I'm beginning to hear more and more emotion on the talk radio shows and in the voices of the so called straight talking likes of FOX and CNN and MSNBC. The reporters are sounding like the bloggers and callers and e-mailers. What ever happened to unbiased reporting? I know conservative talk radio is going to be just that, and that's why I don't listen to it expecting anything other than smack talk. That's why it exists. But when I start seeing it on TV (obviously much more widely followed than radio) it concerns me. It divides everyone and makes us judge the other guy.

Our nation needs a huge punch in the face to wake up and realize we're crumbling. 911 was a huge punch in the face, this economic downturn is a huge punch in the face, what will it be next? Our political system needs to wake up and revamp itself. I don't believe its being done currently at the level it should be. Strictly undoing everything the other guy did in the past is not changing. Changing is new ideas and new ways of getting things done. Our politicians said change was coming to Washington and it appears like things are status quo. Same broken promises with the same players behind different masks. Its starting to make me sick to my stomach.

No comments: