Monday, September 21, 2009

I Gave Blood in South Texas


Took a little vacation this weekend. Celebrated three birthdays with a camping trip to the coast. Happy birthday Amanda, Davey and Patricia; we're all grown up now. The trip was a blast. Not the best outing this group has ever had but not the worst. The beach was loads of fun. I haven't thrown a Frisbee around like we did for years. Forgot how much fun that is. We played horseshoes and bochee ball and swam and ate and drank. Just a good ole time hanging out at the best thing we can call a beach in Texas.

Then there was the camping. Living hell. That's the only way to describe it. I love camping and I've always enjoyed the outdoors; but humans are not suppose to tolerate what we endured. You wouldn't believe me if I told you Texas was in a drought. Droughts usually mean fewer bugs. I guess you could say there were fewer bugs like dragon flies and flies and knats and roaches and spiders. But apparently someone forgot to tell the mosquitoes they shouldn't be alive right now with out any water. I'm pretty sure as a group we ensured the mosquito population to survive on Mustang Island for at least a decade. We couldn't get drunk because the mosquitoes were sucking the alcohol right out of our systems. I couldn't believe how many there were. I smashed one that was a little smaller than a quarter. A Freakin Quarter!!! I thought it was going to pull my arm right off. They were feeding so much that one flew off me and it was red. So FYI: stay away from Mustang Island in September...you might die.

On a much happier note we listened to the Texans game on the radio on the way home. Go Texans Go!! Couldn't have asked for a better game than that one. Even if they had lost it would have rejuvenated my belief that this team gives a shit. They played their hearts out and I loved it!! Keep it up team and we'll follow you all the way.

4 comments:

Sara said...

glad the trip was half good! and i thought of you when i saw the texans highlights!

Kevin Longtin said...

I thought of Donavan when I saw the Tampa highlights. Sorry his team lost.

Tim said...

Turns out that there are salt water mosquitoes.... and the large areas of calm water between the islands had recently filled from seriously low levels. Seems, that activated all the mosquito eggs in the soil which in turn caused a huge increase in mosquito population and terrible camping. When I was unloading the fan from the truck I got a look at the blades and the leading edge and curved back were black with mosquito guts as well as a good splattering of red and black all around the inside of the drum...

Kevin Longtin said...

at least that puzzle was solved