Monday, October 5, 2009

ACL 2009 Part 1

Let me tell you...this was a pretty good time this year. Last year I had fun. But it was just that, fun. You could consider 2009 a blast...a jolly good time...an experience that won't soon be forgotten. Those words work better for this years Austin City Limits.

The Line-up that I saw went as follows (keep in mind my wife was with me and she has a very distinctly different taste in music)

Friday: got a late start but wasn't really thrilled about Friday
1. The Walkmen: Good band. Probably more fun in a smaller more intimate setting where you can really enjoy all the music they create. A rock base with some undertones of southern rock and even mariachi. A solid band that I would probably see again.

2. Phoenix: Good band as well. I don't even know how to describe them except maybe electro indie rock. I'd classify their sound along with Saves the Day. Again a solid band but I don't think I'm running out to buy their album or even see them again.

3. The Green Cards: Amanda's first pick of the day; a fun bluegrass local Austin band made up of two Aussies and one Englishman. A really fun band with a genuine sound. They play to entertain and I would recommend them to any bluegrass supporter.

4. Reckless Kelly: Amanda's second pick which she spent 40 minutes of their set in line at the bathroom. Their a good band that's been playing the Texas scene for a long time. I don't care so much for them because I genuinely hate country music. But if you enjoy original country music, not this new pop influenced radio crap, then you'll really like these guys.

5. Them Crooked Vultures: This was suppose to be the brain child of a bunch of really good rock musicians and it was exactly what I expected. They rocked and they rocked and they rocked some more but didn't sound original and didn't blow my socks off. I think I'd have to listen some more and maybe check them out with an itunes song or two before I would proceed with listening to them any more.

6. Kings of Leon: Ehhh...that's really all I have to say. You've heard them on the radio and they aren't worth a penny in concert.

7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Ehhh...again. Maybe because It was late in the day but they almost seemed to try to hard. Their sound is more like noise and their style is outlandish at best. Total disappointment replacing Beastie Boys with this.

Those were the shows I caught on Friday. Nothing overly impressive. I missed the beginning of the day so I can't say Friday was a waste. There were like 20 bands that played before I got there. Slow start to the fun but at least the weather was beautiful.

No comments: