Thursday, February 26, 2009

4th largest city? Really?

I've lived in Houston officially for about two years now. I finished high school in the Houston "area" (there are going to be a lot of things in quotes in this post). Which is really the only reason this "city" is the 4th largest city in the country. The Houston area is huge. It spands over 45 miles from side to side. The great thing about this town is that it offers everything L.A., New York, and Chicago can dish out. Almost, anyway. I've never been to New York and I've never seen the L.A. night life but from what I gather from my brother in L.A. and from my knowledge of Friends, Houston at least holds up for a few hours of fun.

What I really like about this city is that it sleeps. Maybe I'm a little more boring than your average joe but I really like my sleep. We have better weather than at least two of those larger cities. Brag on bro no one can beat L.A. weather except San Diego and we all know that so don't even bother remarking. Once I started biking I realized just how lovely this over expanded city really is. I've been all over parts of this town by a much slower and more fun mode of transportation than the crawl of automobile traffic and you notice a lot more. You meet nice people on the road and the trails. You experience the cool February air and the beautiful Texas sun sets (although that may only be the result of the chemical plants and refineries, but it really does make for a peaceful evening).

Houston is the Suburb haven of America. You can only tell that you aren't in Houston anymore because you start rolling through sleepy neighborhoods and to many Home Depots and Targets. But it really does add to the appeal. Many people would say; "That's nuts, who the hell wants to live in a gorgeous five bedroom house on an acre lot with a pool and a detached three car garage for less than a million dollars?" I live right on the edge of the suburbs and the inner loop where the "city" of Houston really begins. Its only 15 mintues to my nearest get everything you desire and need strip mall, 5 minutes to blocks and blocks of multinational restaurants, and 15 minutes to the opera, symphony, baseball, basketball, or football arena. The "in" crowd scene isn't far down the street and even the bars out in the burbs are starting to pick up. No one likes to drive 30 minutes to have a good time and have to drive home at night. Much easier when it's in your back yard.

So this town isn't like those other megametropollis. It has the millions of people and large expanses but it still feels small enough to enjoy. It doesn't overwhelm the senses and dazzle anyone but it can be just as fun all the same. So to anyone considering a relocation, Houston isn't as bad as I usually make it out to be. Short of Austin I would consider this one of the greatest cities in the country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know about Austin... I don't think it's that great. Lots of hippies...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...good point. But the scenery is a lot nicer than Houston.